Friday 6 January 2017

OpenQuest

The obsession I had which led to the relatively rash decision to purchase a 3D printer came when I recently stumbled upon a board game named HeroQuest while watching YouTube videos one evening. This Dungeons & Dragons style board game from 1989 pits the players (up to four of them) against the Game Master (an evil wizard named "Zargon", also played by one of the players), whom sets our Heroes out on quests to gather treasure and defeat his wicked minions.

Looking for copies of the game on Amazon.ca and Ebay however, left a lot to be desired. My heart sank as i realized an incomplete game is selling for $300.00 - $400.00, and $1950.00 for a complete set respectively. So with these two options out of the picture, I turned to 3D printing as an alternative to paper, which personally would just feel cheap.

While waiting for the printer to arrive, I've already started immersing myself heavily in the research required to fulfill the project needs, which including 3D printing, modeling, mold making and casting. Given the total number of game pieces required (71), as well as the speed of printing (a miniature could take anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours), it would be much more efficient to create master molds of the 3D models I design and print and cast these using resin, which cures in roughly 10 to 20 minutes.

I should have a few images to share in the coming days - at the moment, i'm debating on whether or not to 3D print the board. Given that the size of my printer's print bed is only 4.7" x 4.7", I would need to print roughly 20 pieces to complete it...

No comments:

Post a Comment