Saturday 28 January 2017

Pem & Elf

Pem
In between waiting for the printer and studying up on blender / 3D printing, I did quite a bit of research on HeroQuest as well. I knew I needed reference images, so I scowered the net and, surpsingly, found very little in terms of high-resolution images of each of the figurines. Even on free 3D resource sites like Thingiverse and Shapeways I found very little for HeroQuest. I eventually came across a site this site however: Pem's Code Blog. Pem has been working on Unreal Engine 4 version of HeroQuest, and it just so happened that he owns a copy of the board game. As I later found out, he had actually 3D scanned the pieces for his game. Although the models were not very detailed, I knew that having access to those files would be invaluable. So, with a bit of googling, I was able to reach out to him and we have now decided to collaborate; in exchange for his 3D scan files, I will be supplying him with updated 3D models for his game - in fact he's already tried out the dwarf I sent him and it looks great!

On that note, we also decided that miniature accuracy is important, and that I will avoid deviating too much from the originals. This is fine, since having access to the 3D scans key for scaling and proportions. So, with that said, I will be updating the Dwarf by adjusting the epaulets, modeling the proper helmet and embellishing the axes handle.

Dwarf in video game

Dwarf in video game

Elf Update
I finished modeling the Elf today and it's printing now. I've decided to switch back to square bases as this is what the original figurines were using.
Front

Back


Right

Left

No comments:

Post a Comment